I recently had an error in Joomla! and was unable to log in to the administrator site. The error was:
- JAuthentication::__construct: Could not load authentication libraries.
Username and password do not match
I almost panicked. It turned out that I had accidentally disabled the authentication module and plugin thereby denying access to the site administrator. Here’s how I fixed the error…
Luckily some good folks at the Joomla Forum offered a suggestion that worked great. So next time you are in the same situation, here’s how to regain access.
Login to your database. If you are on a hosted site, you may have to use phpMyAdmin:
- Choose the database in question on the left panel / top.
- Now, when looking at the database displayed, on the left panel, choose _plugins or “jos_plugins” depending on whether you used a suffix when you installed Joomla!
- Choose the Structure Tab > Edit the “published” Field (7th item down) and change “0” to “1”
- Click “Save”
- Go to the Browse Tab > id = 1 > name = Authentication-Joomla > Now, click on Edit pencil and change published = “1” and click on “Go” (save)
That should do it. To be on the safe side, clear the cache on your browser, then try to login again.