Virtualization has been around for quite sometime now, but has not really caught on. A 2006 survey of more than 250 enterprise found that 21% of enterprises were planning desktop virtualization projects covering half or more of their enterprise. In 2008, only 16% of these major enterprises had achieved a desktop virtualization deployment. One reason for the 25% failure rate is that enterprises have not been accommodating real user requirements. Rather, they have been imposing them on their population. But outside of mega enterprises, small business owners can benefit from virtualization technologies. Virtualization allows you to host multiple operating systems on one hardware. For example, Sun Microsystems has Virtualbox, a superb software that rivals VMWare’s Workstation. With this free virtualization software, you can host multiple servers on one powerful server. With dual and quad-core processors at affordable prices these days, and RAM at ridiculously low prices, a small business owner can put together a server that can host up to six servers. Just for kicks, I put together a server with 8GB of RAM and installed 6 servers each with 1GB of memory. The servers were for web, mail, crm, file, firewall, and backup. The beauty of it all, no licenses to deal with.
- Avoid Four Common Business Office Mov... — A business office Move always present a big pain for those involved, but it doesn’t have to be a horrific, expensive experience. The number one complaint from someone who’s experienced a “bad” move is, “I didn’t know I needed to…” followed closely by “I completely forgot that…” In other words, it’s what you don’t do [...]
- How To Fix “Checking Battery St... — We recently ran into a “checking battery state” error on a Zorin Linux v7 installation where the system just hung for a long time at the “checking battery state” stage when starting up. Zorin Linux is a very easy to use operating system, especially for those making the transition from a Windows environment. As it [...]
- How To Fix Low Graphics Mode Error Af... — A low graphics mode error can be an irritating message most Linux users don’t want to see. After recently updating a Linux installation to kernel 3.2.0-40, we suddenly started having all kinds of problems with a Linux Operating System: First, reboot seemed to hang at the boot screen for a very long time – for [...]
- Is The Desktop Really (Pretty Much) D... — I read an article recently claiming that “The desktop is (pretty much) dead” and I could not help but wonder if this was just an attempt at riling people up, drawing readership (they got me to read it), or just plain fantasy that “cloud” providers cook up to justify their continued push for ever increasing [...]
- How To Fix CentOS 6.4 Boot Hang After... — The Community Enterprise Operating System, commonly known as CentOS is a solid Linux Operating system similar to Red Hat Linux. We recently ran into a GUI boot problem after upgrading to CentOS 6.4 in a VirtualBox environment. Upon restarting after the upgrade, we noticed that during the boot process, the system showed either a blank [...]